C.R.H.S. Cross Country & Track Guidelines
Academics will be your primary focus during the school year. The coaches expect you to be prepared academically every day; this will include studying for tests and completing homework. If your academic standing begins to slide you must take action by getting extra help, working harder, and communicating with your teachers.
Participating in athletics at Coginchaug is not a right, but a privilege. To earn this privilege you must follow the rules, coaches instructions, and team guidelines. The following guidelines will help you understand what is expected of you.
- Attendance will be taken every day.
- If you come to practice late you need a note from your teacher
- If you are absent you will need a note from your teacher or parent explaining your absence.
- Excused absences will include academic, medical, religious, and certain family obligations
- Absences of any type will affect your standing on the team since you are missing vital training time.
- Two or more unexcused absences may result in your being dismissed from the team. Excessive excused absences could also affect your team status.
- Students who miss an excessive number of practices and/or more than 1 meet for any reason may not be eligible to earn a varsity letter.
- Students may not practice until they have met the following criteria in the time frame shown for 2016:
2. Submit your completed Gold Card to the Athletic Office
These two items MUST be completed by Aug 25 or else you will not be allowed to practice until they are submitted.
3. Complete Student-Athlete Handbook Contract statement form and give to the coach by Sept 8
4. Complete the RSD13 Student & Parent Concussion Informed Consent form and give to the coach by Sept 8
5. Complete the CIAC Concussion Central Website & CT Task Force Video Verification form and give to the coach by Sept 8
6. Complete the RSD13 Student & Parent Cardiac Arrest Informed Consent form and give to the coach by Sept 8.
These forms are available at the CRHS Athletics web site. http://crhs.rsd13ct.org/Sports/How-to-join-a-CRHS-Sport-Forms-and-Student-Athlete-Handbook/index.html
- Students are to make their coaches aware of schedule conflicts immediately.
- To earn a Varsity letter the criteria are as follows:
- Regular attendance at meets and practice
- Excellent attitude and team participation/support
- One or more of the following apply:
ii. Average 7th position or better for XC
iii. Serve as captain on the team
iv. Seniors in good standing with participation for 3 or 4 years
- Students are required to complete the end of the season online surveys requested by the administration.
- Uniforms will be issued to athletes. You alone are completely responsible for the care, wearing, location, and condition of the uniform during the season. You will treat the uniform with respect at all times because it is school property.
- During the first week of practice, athletes will have the opportunity to select their uniforms. Seniors first, then juniors, sophomores, and freshmen last
- We will provide each athlete with a large zip lock bag labeled with their name. In each bag we will have a sheet which the athlete will record the condition/numbers of each uniform piece they are assigned. Please keep the plastic bag and your receipt in a safe place so that it will be available for the end of the season.
- Once selected, the athlete will be leaving the uniforms with the coaches, who will be entering the assigned numbers into our computer database.
- The week of our first meet, athletes will be given their uniforms. Please hand wash in cold water and drip dry the uniforms to keep them in the best shape possible.
- Do not let other athletes wear your uniform. Keep track of your uniform at all times.
- Other than for team spirit, please do not wear your team uniforms to school as part of your wardrobe or for practice.
- At the end of the season, all athletes, regarding of what grade level they are in, must return their uniform in the original zip lock bag. Please refer to your receipt to be sure that the numbers you submit are actually yours. If not, you may still turn them in, but they are not counting in replace of yours. Seniors who plan to compete in indoor track we will keep the uniforms in the bags for the next season. All others will be returned to the storage bins.
- If you lose your uniform, you will not be able to receive a replacement without paying for the piece lost. If the lost piece ends up being turned in later, you will receive back the fees paid.